Oil pulling is an ancient ayurvedic method of healing for the gums and teeth, as well as detoxifying the entire body.
The benefits of this practice are quite expansive and worth the 20 minutes of your time in the morning. You may do it while you focus on other things like cleaning the house, washing dishes, folding laundry, taking the dog for a walk, or my favorite, getting some morning reading in before my day gets crazy.
What it Does:
- Brightens and whitens teeth, reduced plaque and bad breath
- Reduces stiffness and pain in joints
- Relieves nasal and sinus congestion
- May help with migraine headaches
- Regulates menstrual cycle and provides relief from PMS
- Helps with clearing skin
- Boosts energy
- Benifits the throat, voice and eyes
- Improves the lymphatic system
- May help to alleviate allergies
- Boosts the immune system
- Helps with insomnia
- Possible remedy for jaw soreness and TMJ
How it is Done:
- Wake up
- Splash your face with cool water and rinse out your eyes
- Drink a large glass of warm water
- Try for your morning evacuation
- Before you brush your teeth and on an empty stomach, take 1/2 up to 1 tablespoon of coconut oil, sesame oil or sunflower oil and swish it in your mouth for 10-20 minutes. Ultimately you are going for 1 tablespoon of oil for 20 minutes, but if you need to work up to that, start with less oil for less amount of time and give yourself a few days to get used to it.
- Make sure to move the oil around slowly in the mouth and swish it through the teeth. Try to get the oil in all the nooks of the mouth. Lightly, lightly gargle a few times before you spit it out.
- DO NOT SWALLOW any of the oil, it is absorbing and pulling toxins from your body that you do not want to reabsorb.
- When your 20 minutes is up spit out the oil in your toilet or trash, you do not want to spit it into the sinks, as it will clog your pipes.
- Rinse out your mouth with warm water and then brush your teeth and scrape your tongue.
NOTE: Do not do this for more or less than 20 minutes (after you have worked up to your 20 minutes). More than 20 gives chance to reabsorbing the toxins through the mouth that you are trying to get rid of. Less than 20 is not nearly as effective. Definitely brush your teeth afterwards. It takes about 15-20 days of doing it every day, to see results. If every day is not possible try for every other day, shoot for at least 4 days a week, which is better than not doing it at all!