Tuesday, November 17, 2015
Friday, September 25, 2015
Dates soaked in ghee are a great snack. Dates increase vitality and strengthen immunity.Also great for Ojas, the fine essence of kapha.
Slice the dates in half and remove pits. Quarter the dates if you want smaller bites sized pieces. Fill a jar with dates and pour ghee over them. Add cardamom and/or cinnamon. Soak for 1 day to 2 weeks. Will keep indefinitely unrefrigerated. Best for Vata types or in the winter when you may need more nourishment. Dig in!
Tuesday, July 28, 2015
Wednesday, March 25, 2015
In any cleanse, making sure that you are having regular bowl movements, once to twice per day, is very important. Stool carries away the toxins from the body. I also recommend taking a hot bath or sauna to open the pours and allow your body to sweat, which also releases toxins. Drink lots of water, warm- hot. Lemon added will give an extra boost to the cleaning properties of the water and hot water in the morning with lemon will get the 'system' moving.
- 1 cup Split Yellow Moong Beans* (see for ‘weak digestion’ below) Can find at ethnic supermarkets or on amazon.com, Some health food stores may have them as well.
- ¼ – ½ cup White Basmati Rice
- 1 Tbs Fresh Ginger Root
- 1 tsp each Mustard Seeds, and Cumin and Turmeric powder
- ½ tsp each Coriander powder, and fennel and fenugreek seeds
- 3 Cloves
- 3 Bay Leaves
- 7-10 cup Water
- ½ tsp Salt (rock salt is best) or Bragg’s Liquid Aminos.
- 1 small handful Fresh Chopped Cilantro Leaves (add just as you about to eat)
- You can add any freshly steamed vegetables to this recipe to switch it up. Stay away from starchy ones like sweet and regular potatoes.
- Wash split yellow mung beans (dal) and rice together until water runs clear.
- Heat a large pot on medium heat and then add all the spices (except the bay leaves) and dry roast for a few minutes. This dry-roasting will enhance the flavor.
- Add dal and rice and stir again.
- Add water and bay leaves and bring to a boil.
- Boil for 10 minutes.
- Turn heat to low, cover pot and continue to cook until dal and rice become soft (about 30-40 minutes).
- The cilantro leaves can be added just before serving.
- Add salt or Bragg’s to taste.
NOTE: The third day of your cleanse you might feel a bit weak, possibly nauseous and have a headache. This can be normal and means that you have toxins that are leaving the tissues and coming into the GI tract. If you need to vomit, allow yourself to do so, and if you are not having a bowel movement eat 2-4 soaked prunes along with your triphala at night.
Saturday, December 13, 2014
Black beans and nut butters give these morsels punch of protein. Good oils in the nuts and coconut oils are important to absorb nutrients and minerals as well as for overall health. Cocoa powder gives a boost of antioxidants. Chocolate chips.....well, they are yummy and if you get organic, extra dark, the better they are.
Sunday, November 16, 2014
Taking a few tablespoons daily, in the morning, can help you to get in the medicinal powers of this plant right away. Like everything in excess, it no longer works as a medicine, so try this for a few weeks, notice how it is making you feel and then decide weather you continue for a few more weeks or if you have had enough. Don't take it straight for more than 3-4 months. Your body needs a break, you can always bring it back if you need to after a month or two break.
Here are things that this can be used for:
- Excessive burning in the intestinal tract
- Dry colon/constipation
- Dehydration, dryness
- Dysmenorrhea (painful menstrual cycle) - Take 2 oz - 10 days BEFORE your cycle, every morning. Repeat for 3 months of your cycle. Gel over juice is preferred.
Tuesday, October 14, 2014
In Ayurveda we work with things called marma points, which are pressure points that are similar to accupuncture points, but instead of a needle, pressure is applied by touch. If marma interests you click here for some more information. Otherwise, all you need to know is we have points on our bodies, that when sore or tender, can mean that there is an imbalance. By pressing on these points, which are correlated with certain organs or places on our bodies, we can help clear or alleviate any stagnation or discomfort. One thing that I struggle with is headaches. And I know from other people, headaches are a major inconvenience and quite frankly, suck!
Another thing you can do in conjunction with pressing on these recommended points is using a few drops of jasmine or peppermint essential oils when massaging these points. Just remember to wash your hands after so that you don't get any in your eyes.
The points to focus on are the brow points, outlined in red box below, and the pads of your thumbs (Right and left hand). Feel around for any tenderness and then once you find it, push on that point for a few seconds at a time. Notice if that helps to relive the pain in the head. better yet, find someone to massage these areas for you and try to relax into it as much as you can.
- Do you work at a computer all day? Headaches hit mid afternoon or evening? Try take consistent breaks from your computer. Stand up every hour or two and stretch, take a quick walk or a trip to the office kitchen for some hot water.
- Also, look at your computer set up. Is your laptop or computer forcing you to look down when you type? If so you are straining your neck muscles by making them hold your head (which weighs on average, 10lbs) out from your shoulders. This tension causes tension headaches. Make sure you can look at your screen at eye level. If you cant, make it happen by elevating it with a shelf, books, bricks etc. (get creative).
- Have you gotten any fresh air in the past 3-4 hours. If your answer is no, take 5-10 minute break and go outside.
- Have you exersiced in the past couple days, if the answer is no, make a point to go for a walk, take a yoga class or go to the gym after work for atleaste 30 minutes.
- Have you been drinking enough water? Make sure you are staying hydrated. No iced drinks. try sipping warm - hot water through out the day. This will also help with your immunity so it is a very important step into getting rid of headaches, while also keeping you healthy in other ways.
- Headaches can also be lack of nutrition. So make sure you are not skipping meals. 3 rounded meals a day is very important. if it seems like you are still missing something talk to a doctor, as it could be a lack of something in your diet.