Many americans are dehydrated. I see people drinking things all the time but they are drinking the wrong kinds of fluids in order to keep the body hydrated. Sugary drinks, sports drinks, energy drinks, soda, vitamin water, coffee drinks of all kinds, smoothies, shakes and even some teas deplete the body of water. Water is what will rehydrate you, and proper rehydration does good for the entire body! Water at the right time of the day is particularly important. It will help with hydrating the skin, hair, eyes, internal organs AND (here is a big surprise) can help with weight loss.
Follow these guidelines and feel and see the difference:
- Drink a big glass of warm water with lemon upon waking up in the morning
- Drink a glass of warm water 30-60 minutes BEFORE a meal
- Only drink about 4 oz of room temp or hot water WITH a meal (sip throughout meal)
- Do NOT drink water DIRECTLY AFTER a meal
- Do not drink up to 1 hour after eating a meal (if you need a couple sips that is fine. no gulping)
- Do not drink ice water, Iced tea or BigGulps.......
- If you feel very dehydrated sip on hot water every 10-15 minutes throughout an entire day. Be diligent about this. If you still feel like you could chug water at the end of the day then repeat for 2 weeks. This should properly hydrate the body in a way that your body can use and absorb the water it has been lacking. After 2 weeks go to drinking water in a way that is recommended above.
- If your child has regular tummy aches try the water sipping though out the day or the big glass 15-30 minutes before meals. Many times this symptom in children is linked to dehydration.
According to Ayurveda, drinking water to help with weight loss is not because of what common mainstream articles state; about filling up on water instead of food. That advise is actually killing your digestion, dimming your digestive fire and diluting the digestive enzymes, causing your stomach to have a hard time breaking things down, leading to digestive issues and weight GAIN. Drinking water 15-30 minutes before a meal hydrates the stomach and helps with the buffer zone that is made up of H20 around the stomach, which actually signals to the stomach that it is ok to turn on the stomach acid to full force so that it can break down the food. When you can break down the food you can produce more bile, which helps break down fat. Water drank in this way allows the body to break down and metabolize what you put in, leading to better digestion and if need be, weight LOSS.