It has been a bit cold here in the midwest. And that means that it is perfect weather for hot chocolate!
Cold weather has an effect on the body by leaving it cold, dry, light, creaky and stiff. We can start to balance out those reducing qualities, by adding things into our daily routine and lifestyle that is rich, sweet, nurturing and grounding. One of these things is hot chocolate. Here is my favorite recipe that I have been playing around with this winter. Enjoy a guilt free cup with those that you love (young and old) and feel the love rush in!
Hot Chocolate Recipe
2 cup milk (coconut, almond, cow)
2 teaspoon vanilla
2 TBL almond butter
2 Medjool dates
4 TBL organic 100% pure cacao (cacao powder is high in anti-oxidants)
1 teaspoon *Ashwagandha powder
Optional: if you love coconut you can also add 2 teaspoons of coconut butter
Instructions: Measure and stir all ingredients into a pot, heat until it starts to simmer. Pour into a blender and blend for 2-3 minutes. Pour and sip hot with someone you love!
*Ashwagandha is an herb that is highly used in ayurvedic medicine:
- Increases energy and vitality
- General adaptogen for combating stress
- Assists in calming the mind and promotes restful sleep
- Supports proper function of the adrenals
- Helps calm anxiety and soothes the nervous system
- Will adapt to helping with rest in the evening or giving energy in the morning/mid-day
- Purchase here: http://www.banyanbotanicals.com/prodinfo.asp?number=6082
Obviously you can make the hot chocolate without this herb, but I highly suggest you order it and give it a try.
Cheers to a cozy night in!