Ayurveda looks at diet, lifestyle, seasons and time, to help heal the body, mind and spirit. One main way of healing ourselves in this day and age is to de-stress, reduce anxiety and use the hours of the day to our advantage.
Looking at the day and dividing it into 3 sections (6-10am/pm, 10-2pm/am 2-6pm/am), can help support the body in what it naturally is programmed to do.
- · 6am – 10am this is the best time for working out to overcome the heaviness of sleep and to re-set the metabolism. Your brain power is strong.
- · 10am – 2pm your digestive fire is the strongest, between 11 and 1pm so this is the best time to eat your largest meal of the day, lunch! A 15 -20 minute rest after lunch helps the body focus on digestion and assimilation.
- · 2pm – 6pm, this is second wind time, where your brain power is able to sustain before winding down for the evening.
- · 6pm – 10pm your start to get heavy and your body starts to slow down. It is time for a light dinner (between 5-7pm) and then you should start tapering off your activity. Bed time between 9-10pm.
- · 10pm – 2am your body is in deep sleep and is detoxifying and resetting for the next day.
- · 2am – 6am – movement starts to happen between 4am – 6am you should wake in order to make the most of your brain stimulation. It is the “magical” time of the day, great for meditation and yoga.