Thursday, August 22, 2013

Weave Your Roots for Strength

Weave Your Roots for Strength


I recently went out to Utah to watch my sister give a presentation at her graduation, as well as receive a few awards and her  Bachelors of Science in Dental Hygiene. So proud! The main speaker that evening, Dr. Joseph Mirci, spoke about trees and their roots and how some trees have shallower roots than others and how that translates to people that become the patients of these new graduates. He also stated that the Red Wood Forest has some of the largest trees in the world, yet red wood trees have some of the most shallow roots.  What holds the trees up in tough times and in hurricane force winds, is the fact that the root systems grow together. They actually hold on to each other and create a web underground that helps them endure whatever nature has in store for them.
I thought about this for awhile. What does my web look like, what roots me, how do I ground myself? What do I need to weave in more of to strengthen my web?  I realized that the answer to these things are what I hold dear to my heart, that don't cause me stress, that create a feeling of lightness, yet sturdiness. Things that push me to grow, but don't drain me of my energy, people that fill me up and help me become a better person. All these things are my support. And all these things will look different to each individual. It is all unique and personal.
Something else happened that actually brought me to Utah and allowed me to see my sister graduate.  My Sister got a bad abscess in her mouth and had a dangerous infection that was leaking into her blood stream. I hopped on a plane to be with her and I felt so lucky that I was able to. I know we sometimes let money, or time, or other mundane commitments keep us from our loved ones. But being there to help bring my sister back to health, was worth so much more than anything I would have done back home. It added another root to my underground web. It filled me up in a way that was special. It allowed me to be there for someone who I love with all my heart (I would have done it for any of my family members)!
Sometimes we get caught up in our projected timelines, sometimes we think to rigidly and firmly, sometimes we miss out on opportunities because we don't think they are practical. I want to pass on the realization that sometimes these opportunities fill up our tanks so that we can be better, be happy, and shine brighter, because these times are what strengthen our root systems so that we can withstand life!

No comments:

Post a Comment